Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Australia: Team Comments, Part 1

Today we'd like you to hear from three of our team members (with more to follow!):

Chelsea: This trip has been such a great experience for me. All the people here are so awesom
e and nice and the kids are fun to play with and connect with. My favorite part of the trip is learning about all the aboriginal culture and seeing where they live. I think the hardest part of this trip for me was giving my testimony. It was hard because I have never given my testimony to a group of people before and it’s hard for me to talk to a large group of people. Although I was really nervous to give my testimony once I did I realized it wasn’t that hard and I enjoyed sharing my story. I have made so many new relationships with people here and god has challenged me in some way everyday and opened my eyes to how much I love helping people and how the littlest things make others happy. My biggest joy of all is building these new relationships and focusing my energy on serving others. Over all this has been amazing and such an awesome experience.

Matt: I have had such an amazing time on this trip. There have been many things that I know will make a lasting impact on my worldview. I’m sure you’ll read this a lot, but social injustice has been a constant theme everywhere we go. This trip could be a college course on social injustice and how it has affected the aboriginal people of Australia. It has been such an awesome/devastating experience to meet elders in the aboriginal communities and hear their stories of oppression and sadness and still be greeted with a kiss and incredible meal. I have consistently been in awe of the power of love, of grace, and of mercy and how it is lived out in the daily lives of the aboriginal Christians. I wish I could convey how powerful it has been.

Jessica: Although we know that God, His love and His people span across all cultures and countries, it is amazing to witness this first hand. More than anything, this trip has been an educational experience. I have learned about Australian history, Aboriginal culture, how to share my faith with others and how to encourage fellow believers. Several Aboriginals have openly shared their stories of slavery, abuse and mistreatment. However, in the face of adversity, they are moving forward and determined to improve their circumstances for the next generation. Aboriginals find so much of their identity in their culture and history, and I am trying to share the truth that it is even more important to identify ourselves as children of God, equally sinful, but united in grace.

No comments: