Sunday, April 19, 2009

a weekend to remember

Wow, what a weekend! Stanley and I spent Saturday and Sunday with the members (and neighbors) of Masii Christian Chapel, a new church planted because of the impact of Tumaini Ministries (www.tumainiinternational.org) in this part of the country. The congregation, begun in September, is excited and growing, looking to become a solid, Bible-based church that will plant daughter churches throughout the region (and beyond!).

Saturday's seminar drew more than 80 (some seen here on the right), and we discussed basic elements of the New Testament Church, namely baptism and the Lord's Supper. There was great interaction and interest as we went from mid-morning until the end of the day. Some of the teachings and concepts that you and I may take for granted are new thoughts and practices for some of these believers, and they are finding great freedom in them.

Sunday's morning services (one in English, the other in Kikamba) drew more than
150. You would have loved the time of worship in praise! So much enthusiasm, excitement and expression. And believe me, it's infectious! We continued the seminar in the afternoon, teaching about leadership in the Church, and the place of elders and deacons. MCC does not yet have recognized leadership, aside from the pastor and a few other volunteers, but they are preparing to put leaders in place, and they want to make sure they do it well. Their ultimate goal is to grow a model congregation that they can reproduce in other places in hopes of becoming a movement of churches.

I wish you could sit with these people and hear their hearts as they share. You'd be moved and challenged in your own faith. As thankful as they were that I took time to be with them, I think I got the better end of the deal. I'm stirred and encouraged to deepen my walk as I realize what my brothers and sisters face each day here. And I'm convicted to pray more fervently for them as they live for the Lord in southeast Kenya. You'd love the people here, I know you would. And after you were here awhile, you'd try to figure out how you could return as soon and as often as possible.

I know I am.

No comments: