Monday, September 15, 2008

Can You Give Hope?

Our church has a special relationship with Tumaini (the Kiswahili word for hope) International Ministries in Kenya. Tumaini was started by Dr. Stanley and Rose Mutunga for the purpose of assisting AIDS orphans in that country (there are about 2 million there currently). Their goal was to make sure kids who had lost one or both parents, and who were living with extended family or neighbors, would be able to continue with life and education, and have the opportunity to succeed in spite of their circumstances. Their plan was to use sponsorship ($30.00 monthly) to help kids with basic needs and expenses while allowing them to remain within family and community (as opposed to being placed in orphanages, which often have negative impact in community-based cultures such as Kenya).

I know that there are many solid organizations (e.g. World Vision, Compassion International) which do similar works, and that's good, because it's going to take all of us doing all we can to make the difference in place like Kenya. But let me share a couple of reasons why I believe Tumaini makes such great sense:

1. The entire amount you send for sponsorship goes to your child! Nothing is taken out for administrative costs, as Tumaini raises that money separately;
2. It's a grass-roots movement with no layers of bureaucracy. This helps foster a very personal relationship between you and your child, and means that you can find out how and what the child you are sponsoring is doing;
3. It is a "easy" matter for you to make personal connection with your child! We have taken teams to Kenya for three years now, and have been able to sit with the children we sponsor, getting to know them, their families and their situation. I know what my child (his name is Mutinda) is going through, and we have talked and prayed together. I know his grandmother and his brother, and I know that the assistance we provide is getting where it is supposed to go.

All this to say that you could sponsor someone in Kenya and make a lifetime of difference for him or her. And if you can't afford it alone, buddy up with others and do it together. I bring this to your attention because I believe in the need, I believe in Tumaini's plan as a solution (at least in part) to the need, and I believe in our ability to meet the need.

To find out more, go to http://www.tumainiinternational.org/. Or contact me and I'll tell you more about this blessing. And if you have a moment, check out our video of the 2006 KACC Kenya Team:


No comments: